Pages

Tuesday 24 June 2014

Maybelline Matte Maker Mattifying Powder - Review | AztecOwl

Maybelline Matte Maker Mattifying Powder - 20 Nude Beige. £3.99.

I'll start off by explaining what I wear on my face everyday, so you can get a better idea of how the product performs. I don't wear foundation, so if you're wanting to know how well this product works over foundation, unfortunately I can't help you! But I do wear Collection Lasting Perfection concealer underneath and around my eyes and the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind concealer on my nose and chin. I prefer to keep my skin as makeup free as possible, while using the concealer to cover up redness and dark circles.  My skin is quite dry around my nose, however it's still quite shiny, so getting concealer to stay on and apply well is a challenge (but that's a whole other blog post)! I bought this powder with the hope it would offer a bit more staying power.



I use a brush to apply it; of course, you could use a sponge if you prefer. As I prefer a lighter coverage, I use a brush; I find it easier to control the amount of powder I apply.

My initial reaction was that it definitely mattified my skin and made it look smooth, almost velvety. It made the shiny areas of my skin (literally everywhere, but especially around my eyes and nose) look matte, but not cakey or dull. I'm not a big fan of my skin looking completely matte, so I was pleased that this product wasn't too heavy at first and is instead buildable.




Throughout the day, my skin tends to become shiny and unfortunately this powder didn't last very long. 1-2 hours before I had to apply it again and in hot weather there's no chance of it staying matte. Also, I found that the concealer and powder around my nose started to break up and / or slide off as the day went on, but it wasn't really noticeable to anyone else but me. However, my skin did still look very smooth and silky and didn't look cakey after I topped it up.

The product feels light on my skin. It doesn't make it feel dry and my skin doesn't feel suffocated, which is fantastic. For a product that is selling itself as a Matte Maker, I would think many people would be disappointed if they're expecting a 100% matte look. I would say this powder gives more of a satin effect.

Pros:
+Feels light on the skin.
+Skin looks and feels smooth.
+Buildable. I could keep topping it up throughout the day without it looking cakey. (Around my nose was a bit of an issue, but not terrible.)


Cons:
-Tends to break up a little bit around the nose, after a couple of hours wear. 
-Not really as matte as I expected it to be. (Good thing for me, but maybe not for people wanting a 100% matte look)

Overall, I would say for £3.99 , it's a bargain. I've only been wearing it for a couple of days, but I will repurchase it if I don't find anything I like more.
Please bare in mind that I also don't use a primer, so any problems I encountered with this product may be rectified with the use of one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment